Friday, May 9, 2014

Book Review - Torment by Lauren Kate

Torment
by Lauren Kate



Published by: Delacorte Press on September 28, 2010
Genres:  Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Pages:  452
Source:  Online Store
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars


Hell on earth.

That’s what it’s like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel.
It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts—immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn’t told her everything. He’s hiding something—something dangerous.
What if Daniel’s version of the past isn’t actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?
 
The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series . . . where love never dies.


Book Review


Over-all Comment:

Another compelling work by the marvelous Lauren Kate!
I

Appearance:

Remember when I said that it's better when I don't see the faces of the girls on the cover? This gave me that! An answer to my prayers! Nah . . . just kidding. I knew way before I purchased Torment that the cover will be this one. And that is why I was eager to get my hands on this book. This had the best cover out of all the books in the series. And that gown, especially its top? I'm actually hoping I can see what it looks like on its front.


Characters:

I love the transformation of Luce in this book (but not everything)! She not only changed her hair color, even her approach towards life changed. She's still adjusting from the things she discovered and for being transferred in a different school, but if you knew Luce as this not-so-sociable, always-staying-on-the-good-side girl? Surprise, surprise! She's now a tough chick, and hard-headed too. She even had the guts to confront Shelby - her room mate that acts so mean towards her when they first met. Being tough and brave is cool, but sometimes she gets too hard-headed, and I don't like it. She also made some friends in her new school - Dawn, Jasmine and an adorable guy named Miles.


A guy named Miles, eh?


Miles was the first student at Shoreline that joined her for breakfast. Luce felt happy when she's with him, normal even. And that, aside from an angel and demon for humanities class, was her problem. As soon as Daniel sent her to Shoreline to 'keep her safe', she always felt like there's something that Daniel is trying to hide from her. They always had arguments about it, and she hates it. Now, whenever she sees Miles, she always try to compare him and Daniel. I personally did not like the idea that she compared the two. I mean, c'mon, Miles is adorable, sweet and all, but he's nothing like the angel who gave up his position in heaven to be with the girl he loves!


Overall, I love the character development in this book. It definitely gets better and better. The idea of setting aside Daniel and Cam's fight to save Luce is sweet and brilliant. At first, you would wonder why? Why is Luce so important for everyone? Even Molly helped in saving her. *laughs* But eventually, you will get answers in the end of the book. Another element that I liked. I love a series that have resolutions in the end of each book, and then another problem will be thrown at them on the continuation. 


There you have it, my Torment review. Hope you like it. Feel free to comment your own thoughts, it would mean a lot. :)

XOXO, Risse.

P.S.
Here are my links so we can talk all day err day!


Follow me on bloglovin' - https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12219065

And my latest book-related blog post: Book Review - Fallen by Lauren Kate

0 comments:

Post a Comment