Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Spotlights on You - Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler

Tempest Rising ( Jane True #1)
by Nicole Peeler


Add to Goodreads
Published by: Orbit Books on November 1, 2009
Genres:  Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Pages:  357
Source:  Warehouse Sale Event @ NBS
My Rating: 4/5

Living in small town Rockabill, Maine, Jane True always knew she didn't quite fit in with so-called normal society. During her nightly, clandestine swim in the freezing winter ocean, a grisly find leads Jane to startling revelations about her heritage: she is only half-human. 

Now, Jane must enter a world filled with supernatural creatures alternatively terrifying, beautiful, and deadly- all of which perfectly describe her new "friend," Ryu, a gorgeous and powerful vampire. 

It is a world where nothing can be taken for granted: a dog can heal with a lick; spirits bag your groceries; and whatever you do, never-ever rub the genie's lamp. 

If you love Sookie Stackhouse, then you'll want to dive into Nicole Peeler's enchanting debut novel.


----------------------------------------------

This week's SPOTLIGHT ON YOU is dedicated to the Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler. This is an awesome book, but I haven't heard a lot of people reading this soooo.... here you go.

Book Review



Over-all Comment:

The world in this book is unique. It's like Twilight, but more supernatural creatures are involved.


Appearance:

Okay, this book was actually a cover buy. I was kinda searching for a middle-grade novel, hen I found this book. The cover was very childish-adventurous looking, and I thought that this would pull me out from reading complex novels. It actually reminded me of Adventure Time for some reason. Which sorta disappointed me. (i'll explain why later ....)


Characters:

What I look for in some books is a character who will discover something about herself that will change her life forever, then suddenly bad things will happen etc The story line may be on the cliche side, but I read those books growing up.


When Jane discovered that she was half-human, she was pretty terrified. But the feeling of curiosity conquered her fear. She wanted to know more. She feels like there's nothing to lose, since she was pretty ruined already. And then she met Ryu, a vampire-investigator who becomes her lover, eventually.


Like I said earlier, the story line is very common: Main character discovers something, bad things will happen, main character meets lover, worse things will be thrown at them because main character is different form lover etc. But I didn't mind all of that, the mix of mystery and supernatural powers in this book contented me. Peeler has also made a very wonderful job in the world building. It was like there was a smaller world inside the real world. You get it? Haha. I hope you do. I also loved the shapeshifting powers! Imagine yourself turning into a seal. Or maybe swimming in the ocean for power and energy?


There's just one little thing that I was concerned with. The cover was very appealing to children's eyes yet the book is a New Adult. The cover designers should've pick a more appropriate cover. The design was animated! Like I said, it reminded me of Adventure Time. And I'm afraid that kids might pick this up thinking this is a cartoon novel of some sorts. Take note: This book contains sexy scenes so they are not allowed to read it!


XOXO, Risse

P.S.
Here are my links so we can talk all day err day!


Follow me on bloglovin' - https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12219065

And my latest blog post: Book Review - Torment by Lauren Kate

0 comments:

Post a Comment