Sunday, June 7, 2015

Book Review: Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Published by: Harper Teen on March 9th 2010
Genres: YA, Contemporary, Romance, Mystery, Fiction
Pages: 432
Format: Paperback

Book Blurb:
Taylor Markham was eleven when her mother abandoned her on the Jellicoe Road. At seventeen, she finds herself in a similar situation when her guardian Hannah, who found her on the Jellicoe Road, suddenly disappeared. Taylor's only clue is a manuscript about five kids that lived in Jellicoe eighteen years ago. As if leading the boarders of Jellicoe School isn't already stressful, she is now forced to face her past. Taylor untangles her problems one by one, leaving her with more questions about her recurring dream of a boy in a tree and surprisingly, the intimidating Cadet leader Jonah Griggs.


Trigger warnings for Jellicoe Road: abandonment, teenage sex, drugs

Jellicoe Road holds a lot of depth.

I heard a lot about Jellicoe Road through readers that I met on the internet as well as my favorite booktubers. It struck me as interesting, and I find myself checking out at a local bookstore’s cashier with Jellicoe Road on my basket of books.

Confusion was the first thing that I had to conquer as soon as I read the few pages of the book. I’ve never read anything in its genre and I felt as if it’s written in a very cryptic way. I didn't know whose perspective I'm reading, and it skips from one story to another. I didn’t think I was ready to read it so I placed it back on my shelf and let it stay there for months. But last week, as I was re-arranging my book shelf, I stumbled upon it again as if it’s calling me to read it. At that time, I wasn’t really reading anything so I thought I should give it another try. Though my feelings about Jellicoe Road remained conflicted, I read it continuously. I immersed myself in the book without pressuring myself to finish it quickly. I took my time to understand and absorb everything. And right now, it was one of the best decisions I made.

Amazed. This was what I felt after finishing Jellicoe Road. I couldn’t believe what I just read. It wasn’t extraordinary in a “Wow!” or “Oh my God” way, but the book tells you the story in a way that it would end up leaving a mark in your heart. I admire how Melina Marchetta weaved the story of the past and the present. Again, I must reiterate that reading the first several pages of the book might be confusing. It talks about townies and cadets, territorial wars─ all in a boarding school setting. Not sure if reading the excerpt at the back of the book will help, but I suggest you read it blindly. It’s the best experience.

This book made me feel all kinds of emotion. Not just happy and sad, but also frustrated, annoyed, angry, heartbroken and more. For someone who does not easily break or cry, I may have shed more than a bucket of tears for this one. Jellicoe Road is a beautifully crafted novel that you should not pass on.

The character developments also played a huge role in this one. All of the characters share similar issues, they are neglected teens. So naturally as a reader, I was looking forward to their backstory. What made their characters turn out this way? What should I look forward to? Will the character be the same throughout the novel? Because Jellicoe Road is full of twist and turns, each character’s journey was so meaningful and real.

Another warning that I should address is the fact that I am deeply in love with this book, but I do not think everyone will enjoy it. For someone to appreciate this book at the utmost level, one should be fully immersed in it. No other distractions while reading Jellicoe Road. As I’ve mentioned earlier, it can feel cryptic at times. It was written lyrically and the plot can be a bit heavy to handle. If you are up to that, then this book is for you.

To end this review, I must say that Jellicoe Road is very much deserving of its Printz Award. It is a rollercoaster ride that I never thought I would take, but gladly did. I will certainly keep in mind to recommend it to those who are open for discussions about it.


I would give this a hundred stars if I could.


Melina Marchetta was born in Sydney Australia. She gained a lot of recognition from her first novel, Looking for Alibrandi, which was made into a major Australian film in the year 2000. It won th Australian Film Institute Award for Best Film and Best Screenplay which Marchetta also wrote. She continued releasing hit novels such as Saving Francesca, On the Jellicoe Road, Finnikin of the Rock, The Piper's Son, and Froi of the Exiles. 

1 comment:

  1. I've heard a lot about Jellicoe Road but I've never ventured into my bookstore to buy it. I've heard her other books are really amazing as well! Great review, by the way. You can tell you're very passionate when it comes to this book.

    A.M. Bradley @ Hungover Fiction Lover

    ReplyDelete