Sunday, April 27, 2014

Book Review- The Poison Diaries by Mary Rose Wood

The Poison Diaries

by Mary Rose Wood


Add to Goodreads | Purchase on Amazon
Published by: Balzer + Bray on July 20, 2010
Genres:  Young Adult, Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Paranormal
Pages:  278
Source:  National Book Store, bought
My Rating: 4/5 stars





This is a book that you can actually get hooked into immediately. It seems like the book itself is trying to persuade you intoreading it. Just like how Jessamine was drawn into the poisonous plants, I too was drawn in the book. In terms of novel writing though, the author simply had a great writing style and concept. It is the syle of writing that makes you want to continuereading the book. But in some reader's case, it is purely magic. The whole concept is different, very unique. In the best way of course.

Going on to th 'Character Development'. I believe that Weed's and Jessamine's character made an impact. Their characters was well developed as I flipped through the pages. Weed, on the first few chapters where he appeared, was this boy who doesn't know much about people but knows a lot about plants. He cares for them too much that he appears to be heartless on a person's perspective. But as you go on, you would see his transformatio from that boy to a loving man. He learned to entertain his feelings toward people. Jessamine, on the other hand, was this girl who knew nothing but to take care of her belladonna seeds, keep track of the weather and plants on her garden diary, and worry about her father. But when she met Weed, she became independent, mature even. Though their changes had some negative effects on others, especially to Jessamine's father, I believe that they compliment each other really well.


Content-wise, I rated this book 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. Like I said, the whole concept and idea of the poison garden was very different. I've never read a book similar to this one. And I love it. The only reason why I gave it 4 stars and not 5, is because, for me, it was a very dark read. The story was full of negative emotions that you'll probably encounter on the latter part. But I also liked it that way because it shows reality in it.

XOXO, RIsse.

Find out more about me on:

0 comments:

Post a Comment