Saturday, July 12, 2014

Book Review: To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han


Add to Goodreads | Purchase on Amazon 
Published by: Simon and Schuster on April 15th 2014
Genres:  Young Adult, Contemporary-Romance
Pages:  288
Format: eBook

Book Blurb:

Lara Jean finds comfort in writing letters. She wrote one for each boy that she liked, telling them her feelings, sealed the letters, wrote their addresses and stamped them. Then she keeps it on a box under her bed. But one day, Lara Jean found out that her letters had been sent. Embarrassment starts creeping up as she realized what happened, especially because one of the letter receivers is her sister's boyfriend, Josh and the oh-so-popular Peter Kavinsky. Later on, she realized that having those letters sent was not a bad idea after all.


I didn't expect myself to love this book so much and hate it at the same time!


I am not really used with reading a book for a day, so I was kinda surprised that I did it with this one. I just can't put it down! I am really proud that I read this. I never intended on doing so, because the book is pretty mainstream. And it's not that I have problems with popular books, but sometimes I just lose all the excitement when I hear everyone talking about it. I was actually waiting for it to lose its spotlight on the whole social network. Unfortunate for me, it never did. So what pushed me to read this book?

It was being optioned for a movie! And I hate not having to read a book before it comes out as a movie. 

There are times when I almost throw it away because I hate Lara Jean's ideas. And she was quite immature. But of course I don't do that, it's harassment. There are also times that I go crazy, constantly squealing and smiling. Either way, the book is still driving me nuts. It was so amazing yet so intriguing. You don't know whose with who. Or who likes who. Even until the end, which, is such a cliffhanger! That was actually the only reason why I hated it. There are tons of Book Freaks like I am who told me that the ending is soooooo intriguing yet I pushed through with this book. I thought they were just overreacting. But it was actually true! Oh if only I could read the book without that particular ending. I just ...ughhh. I can't even explain how I feel about it. Lucky for me, or us who read it, there will be a second book! Or so I thought.

The characters are actually soooo relatable. Even Peter! Mainly because they are teens like us, and oh did I mention? I am also writing letters with the same purpose. Lara Jean and I are twins! Except, I don't put addresses. I realized it isn't safe, especially after what happened to Lara Jean. I also loved Peter's character. Such a badass but has a sweet side.  A very sweet one. I can actually compare him to the love of my life, Killian "Hook" Jones. From'Once Upon A Time'. Do you know that TV Series? Oh goodness. He's soo mean but has a soft side when it comes to Emma. *I'm squealing while typing this right now*. I"ll stop talking now because some of you might not understand. 

Moving on, I can say that Jenny Han"s writing style was very effective. Especially in this book, maybe because I tried reading "The Summer I Turned Pretty" but didn't enjoy the first few parts so I stopped. And it didn't happen in this book. And Han made me frustrated, intrigued and mad the whole time! I wonder how she pulled this book together. (Didn't make any research so I didn't know how). 


Additional stuff here .....

Jenny Han went to the Philippines last June 20th. You, yes I am talking to those who went to the signing, are very lucky because you saw her. *cries*


QUOTE FROM TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE




Jenny Han (Han like Han Solo, not Han like hand) 
was born and raised in Richmond, Virginia. She went to college at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Go Heels!) and she went on to graduate school at the New School in New York City, where she received her MFA in Writing for Children. She lives in Brooklyn.

0 comments:

Post a Comment